Thursday, May 26, 2005

phantom-feh!

we began the long journey into star wars last night with episode 1----what utter trash.
yeah yeah i agree that the visuals were quite impressive at times BUT in the service of what?
an incoherent plot, totally wooden dialogue, acting evoking the emotive range of a to b and
insipid cartoon characters like jar jar binks et al.

it's interesting to speculate about what cinema history would be like if star wars # 1 were
to have been released as #1----the whole series may not have seen the light of day.

5 comments:

dl004d said...

That's why you should have started with Episode 4.

But come on. All six had bad acting and poor dialogue. And they were great!

Anonymous said...

I agree, you should have started with 4. Now that you didn't though, are you going to watch 1,2, 3, THEN 4? That will actually be interesting and I guess the way the next generation will do it.

I always wonder if 4 actually was as bad as 1 and I didn't care because I was 7.

Anonymous said...

Since seeing #3 last weekend in Seattle, D. and I have been rewatching 4-6. The acting really is that bad, although there is a lot more chemistry between the actors in addition to the poor dialogue. Ex: Lando: "Well, well, what have we here?" while learing at Princess Leia. I mean, COME ON--who would actually say that to some one??

Anonymous said...

WHY DIDN'T YOU START WITH EPISODE 4???

Now the "I am your father" moment is going to be ruined. Also, much of Episode 3 will be ruined.

Why did you ask for our advice if you weren't going to listen to it?

Josh said...

Lando would say that. Totally believeable line. And I don't think the acting is that bad in IV and V. I haven't seen VI recently enough to judge.